Thursday, May 30, 2013

Bloomsburg University. Day Three.

It's amazing how quickly I've gotten adjusted to the routine here at Bloomsburg--early to rise, to eat, and class alllll day.  Media class was pertty interesting today--we spent some time talking about how media can distort reality.  We looked at images from the OJ Simpson case and how different magazines took the same picture and photo-shopped it to create different perceptions and messages that correlated with the magazine's spin on the case.  The media can also especially affect cases of self-image and self-esteem. We watched a few of the Dove Beauty campaign videos--this one below in particular emphasizes just how misleading media images can be.
After lunch I went exploring around Bloomsburg's campus with some new friends.  Up until then somehow I'd only gone from the dorm to the dining hall to class, but I really wanted to see what the rest of the campus looked like.


It was sweltering hot outside, so it was a bit of a relief to go inside the air conditioning for Music class. We spent most of the class going through the history of musical movements and different composers. Not necessarily the most interesting stuff in the world, but we got through the three hour lecture.  

I spent most of the night working on quizzes for both classes (9 for Music and 2 for Media). Not to mention studying for our midterm for Media the next day. Studying for the midterm with this group of people was incredible--we all met up together in the common room of the dorm and reviewed the chapters for the test as a group. I don't think I could ask for a better group of people to be departing with on this trip.

Tomorrow's the last day of classes--can't believe this part of our journey's nearing its end already!!

Until next time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment