Thursday, June 6, 2013

A British breakfast, German lunch, and Austrian dinner

Yay for 3 hours of sleep and a long day of traveling! We left the hotel around 4:30am, which quite frankly should be illegal. Then we had to navigate through 2 airports and plane rides in our sleep-deprived stupor, stopping in Dusseldorf, Germany to change planes, only to realize we were using the same plane--same crew and all--to fly from Dusseldorf to Salzburg. 
Waiting in the airport
My lunch in German
Our airplane that took us from London to Salzburg!
By the time we were landing in Salzburg I was wide awake. I'd completely forgotten about the Alps. Salzburg was right by THE ALPS. We had a breathtaking view from the moment we stepped off the plane.
Absolutely incredible scenery
It took a bit to get to situated at the hotel, including a non-English speaking bus driver and a non-German speaking Yvone, but once I dropped off my bags in my room I met a group of people to go exploring. We walked into the city and exchanged our pounds for euros, now fully equipped. We found an Italian market set up, which I found pretty entertaining considering we're in Austria...planning on holding off on that stuff until we get to Italy. We found Mirabel Gardens, which they used in filming The Sound of Music! 
Mirabel Gardens
I also got to check something off of my to-do list for Austria--I found a bookshop and bought a German version of Harry Potter!! Seriously the highlight of our adventure that night. Although just walking along the river was really nice and peaceful too, with the sun glistening on the ripples of the Salzach and the domes of churches breaking through the horizon and the Alps cascading around us and the formidable fortress bearing down on us from the distance. Being here makes me realize just why Julie Andrews sang "The Hills Are Alive". I like Salzburg already.

Until next time.
Salzburg and Castle in background

No comments:

Post a Comment