Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Deja vu

I got up early this morning and went down to check out the fitness center in the hotel. I went on the elliptical for 45 minutes before I needed to go back upstairs and get ready for another busy day.

I had a major case of deja vu today with getting back to the Globe Theatre. Being a Shakespeare nerd and future English teacher, this is one of my favorite things in London. We got to tour and hear about its history, which was really exciting to me because last year we were supposed to have that with my Shakespeare class, but they messed up our tickets so it didn't work. I thought it was really cool to also get a glimpse of actors practicing for MacBeth. 

A few people along with myself got dropped off the bus near the museums after for a couple hours to explore and eat lunch. We ended up going to M&S and grabbing food for a picnic at Hyde Park. It was a beautiful day--we really have been lucking out with weather so far on this trip, especially considering we're in London. There was a dog fight near us while we were eatkng too, which was a little scary, but the dog looked like he was okay.

After eating we meandered through the park and ended up at Kensington Palace, where we met the rest of our group. I was thankful I'd chosen Hampton Court Palace instead of Kensington to visit last year, so I got the best of both worlds! I couldn't believe people actually live there now, in a section cordoned off from tourists. I asked a worker and apparently Will and Kate will have 50 rooms to themselves when they move in! 

I also particularly remember the story of the "wild boy" that was found living in the wild and brought to live in the Palace. Apparently he was forced to wear a collar, never spoke English, and enjoyed taking his clothes off and running around naked. The people viewed him as a sort of pet. These sorts of fun little stories are what really stick with me.

On our way to dinner we ran into a protest in front of thr Ministry of Justice that took over an entire road. The bus couldn't get through so we had to back up alllll the way back down the road! It was kind of funny, since the protest was about having justice for everyone, not just the rich, and we looked like rich tourists in a coach bus so there was no way those people were going to get out of our way.

Protesters on way to dinner
I couldn't believe that out of all of the places we could have gone to eat, we had reservations at The Anchor! That's where I ate my last night in London last summer, and both times I had their fish and chips. It was just as delicious as I remembered it.

Fish and chips at the Anchor!
After dinner we walked down to the Globe and got to see A Midsummer Night's Dream.  A lot of people were unhappy we were in the standing section, but I didn't really care--I was just thrilled to be back seeing another show at the Globe :) And it was hilarious. I've seen the show a few times, once at my high school, nut I've never seen as lewd am interpretation. Just completely hilarious.  I wonder if and when I'll be lucky enough to come back and see another performance here!

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment