Saturday, June 15, 2013

Free Day in Rome!

Despite our public transportation woes in Vienna, Emily, Hannah, Kelsey, Amanda, Eve, Juli and I were out at it again in Rome.  After at least an hour of figuring out how to buy a bus ticket and then waiting and getting onto said bus (very crowded said bus), we were finally on our way to the market. 

I also stumbled upon a small little church that was gorgeous--Rome is absolutely filled with surprises.

St. Barbara's
 After some shopping and lunch (yay...leftover pizza!) we gathered back together and headed off in search of the Pantheon.  Words can't really describe what it was like to stand inside this beautiful church (well, the Christians turned it into a church...but that's another story...) so I'll include a video and some pictures.  A random choir came in while I was there and started singing...it was absolutely beautiful and haunting, in a way.



 Our next big destination was the Colosseum, which took us by some Roman ruins on the way.  It was all so cool to see.  You hear about these places in history class, or see them in a movie, but actually walking by these places was incredible.  I'm not even that much of a history geek, but seeing Rome made me want to be.
Ruins


Had a non-pizza dinner at the hotel and passed out in my room afterwards.  Starting to think maybe so much travel isn't healthy, it's so exhausting...but there's still one more day to go!  Bittersweet.
Holy carrots!
Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment