When I say that visiting the Wiener Zeitung was my favorite part of Vienna so far, I'm not saying that just because my media professor is reading this blog. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about the newspaper, and especially the discussion that followed after. I thought it was pretty cool to find out that the Wiener Zeitung is the oldest newspaper still existing in the world (since 1703). I also thought it was a bit disgruntling to learn that the average US citizen spends 26 minutes a day reading a newspaper, while Austrians spend around 40 minutes. We also talked about how the Chancellor is the editor of the newspaper; I was surprised to hear that the writers didn't feel pressure to please him--I think I would!
We spent a lot of time talking about social media, especially in the context of the news with the US spying on non-US citizens through Facebook and Google. I particularly liked hearing from Tom, who was very outspoken on these issues. I think the reason I was able to pay so much attention and actually want to contribute to the discussion is because the newspaper writers treated us like we were adults and equals. They didn't question our intelligence or feel the need to talk down to us, and I respected them for that.
Up until now we've been incredibly lucky with our weather on this trip. I must say, though, if it must rain in one place I would pick Vienna. I haven't been particularly thrilled with this city, so the weather is giving me an excuse to stay and chill in the hotel before heading to the Opera House Tour. The tour was okay--getting to see behind the stage was pretty cool, but I feel like all we've really seen of Vienna is the Opera House and the immediate area around it. Not really sure what else there is to see, but there must be more.
 |
| Backstage at the Opera House |
Tonight we had real wiener schnitzel out at a restaurant, which was YUM. One of my favorite meals by far. We walked through Stadtpark in order to get to the restaurant, which was really pretty I thought, and made me regret not finding that part of Vienna sooner. Like I said, I feel like there is a better side that we just didn't see.
 |
| Going through Stadtpark |
 |
| Wiener Schnitzel! |
Stayed up tonight and had a pajama/wine/chocolate party in our hotel room, which was pretty fun. Definitely looove the Austrian chocolate!
Until next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment